In response to growing demand from our members, ILPA is pleased to announce its expansion of educational content to the area of Private Credit strategies and investment through a collaboration with Aksia, an experienced and specialized PC-advisory firm, as ILPA’s exclusive partner for educational private credit content to its members. Aksia provides specialist research and advisory services to institutional investors globally, helping LPs to source, due diligence, and monitor private credit GPs, and advises clients on the portfolio construction and risk management of their private credit allocations. This newly created course, designed by ILPA in partnership with Aksia, has been specifically developed for LPs and is expected to serve members across the spectrum from those new to private credit investing to experienced allocators. Led by seasoned practitioners, this ILPA Institute one-day seminar provides a comprehensive overview of private credit investing, from defining the asset class to manager selection to portfolio construction and risk monitoring.
This course will provide a comprehensive overview of private credit investing, from defining the asset class and manager selection to portfolio construction and risk monitoring and will offer participants the tools and knowledge to screen GPs, while providing them with the framework for private credit portfolio construction and the techniques to complete ongoing loan-level risk monitoring. Participants will learn private credit strategies and what motives institutional investors to invest in private credit, as well as diverse strategies and approaches to selecting attractive fund managers and ongoing risk management. Participants will map out strategies and varied risk/return profiles, look at evaluating a GP to understand its market opportunity and investment ability and learn to identify red flags in GP track records.
Key Learning Objectives
- Define private credit and map out the universe, which beyond direct lending is often overlooked
- Understand private credit basics, including common terms, fund structures, and strategies
- Have the tools and knowledge to screen through GPs and narrow your search to investment managers that meet program objectives
- Recognize which factors characterize successful managers in order to more effectively select firms with whom to invest
- Discuss LPs’ varied approach to funding private credit allocations (‘bucketing’) and how the source of capital, whether PE, Fixed Income, Absolute Return, etc., can shape private credit portfolios
- Review best practices on managing GP relationships and tracking deployment of capital and investment performance
- Gain tools for improving ongoing risk monitoring, including loan-by-loan analysis and aggregated portfolio exposures
PROGRAM LEVEL: Intermediate
WHO SHOULD ATTEND: Any LP professional wishing to deepen their exposure and understanding of the private credit asset class, whether new to private credit investing or an experienced allocator, and whether private credit is a dedicated area of coverage or a potential fit within your broader scope (e.g., PE, Fixed Income, HF, RE/RA).
This class is especially well-suited to those professionals:
- Who want to leverage their travel and attendance of the ILPA 2019 European Forum into a day of education
- Who wish to establish connections and exchange ideas with LPs on a relatively new but expanding asset class
- Who desire to supplement academic study with practitioner-led, experiential and interactive training
PRE-REQUISITE: No pre-requisites are required to attend the program.
DELIVERY METHOD: Group-Live
CREDIT: Earn 7 CPE Credits
Institutional Limited Partners Association is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org