Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Roadmap
A Resource for the Private Equity Industry
ILPA is pleased to provide this Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Roadmap to the private equity industry. The Roadmap is comprised of best practices that both general and limited partners can consider implementing to advance DEI efforts on behalf of their organizations and the PE industry at large. We encourage all stakeholders in the private equity industry -- and those operating in other private markets -- to explore the opportunities presented herein, and contribute to the effort by sharing their own initiatives and resources so that we all can learn from one another’s experiences.
The Roadmap is intended to be a clearing house of best practices and resources that reflects the ongoing development and evolution of successful DEI efforts within the PE industry. Therefore, we rely on industry leaders to submit new initiatives and additional resources that could prove helpful to others. ILPA encourages submissions and will review them in a timely manner. Guidelines for submitting are as follows:
- All submissions must be accompanied by complete contact information so that ILPA can follow up and collect any additional information required.
- The DEI Roadmap is first and foremost focused on efforts within the private equity industry, but accepts best practices and resources that have been successfully adopted in adjacent private markets. Submissions that recommend best practices or resources that fall outside private markets will be considered for publication on a case by case basis. Applicability to private markets will be paramount to acceptance.
- When submitting a new Best Practice for consideration, please include at least one resource which helps to define or implement the practice.
- When submitting a Resource, please include the necessary links to the resource in question. All links must be available publicly; ILPA will not link to resources behind paywalls or firewalls. Resource submissions without links cannot be published.
- ILPA staff will respond to all submissions within 10 business days.
For questions or additional information, please email [email protected].
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Roadmap(Click to Expand Each Category Below)
DEI Best Practice Submission Form
ILPA welcomes submissions to the DEI Roadmap. To be considered, please click above to complete the form.
Practices that establish organizational policies, strategies and programs that assert internally and communicate externally the organization’s support for advancing D&I.
Develop and Share Organization’s D&I Statement/Strategy
Form an Organizational DEI Committee
Establish a Chief Diversity Officer or Champion
Develop a Diversity Policy for Service Providers
Develop Partnerships with DEI Organizations
Establish Harassment and Discrimination Policies
Support DEI Efforts at Industry Associations
Support PE Industry Events Advancing DEI
Support and Promote DEI Research in the PE Industry
Practices that support access to a diverse pipeline of talent into an organization; and the hiring and advancement of diverse candidates within the organization.
Widen Applicant Pool Beyond Traditional Sources
Diversify Organizational Recruiting Efforts
Remove Biases from the Hiring Process
Establish Interview or Hiring Quotas
Educate Diverse Students About Careers in Private Equity
Support Internship Programs for Diverse Candidates
Establish and Support Diverse Mentorship Programs
Establish or Access Training Programs for Non-Traditional Hires
Practices that build an organization-wide culture where it is expected that all individuals are treated with respect and dignity and given equal opportunity to succeed.
Create Diverse Employee Resource Groups
Create Inclusive Office Spaces
Encourage the Use of Inclusive language
Establish Flexible Work Policies
Hold Unconscious Bias Training
Practices that promote investment in and success of diverse teams
Support Diverse Investment Teams
Implement a Diverse Investment Strategy
Include D&I Questions During Due Diligence
Provide Guidance to Diverse Fund Managers and PortCo Leadership
Practices that allow organizations to track their own progress, and the progress of their partners, against established goals and industry expectations.
Implement Organizational Culture Surveys and Track Progress
Measure Promotions and Attrition by Gender and Minority Status
Track Diversity Progress at Partner Organizations